As an Earthwork Estimator, you will work with the Estimating team to complete take-offs, solicit quotes from vendors and subcontractors, and prepare and submit accurate proposals in a timely manner. This position requires you to be experienced in estimating Mass Excavation for Hard Bid, Design-Build, and Public and Private Projects. Must be able to meet deadlines, have excellent organizational skills and ability to communicate effectively. The Earthwork Estimator will report directly to the Senior Estimator.
- Produce accurate estimates from conceptual and schematic drawings, producing detailed, final contract estimates
- Review project plans, specifications, stand specifications, and soils reports
- Submit pre-bid RFI’s to owner/engineer as needed
- Assess site exposures/construction risks and appropriately analyze cost
- Contract subcontractors, material suppliers, and trucking – 3 quote minimum
- Review projects with Senior Estimator, visit project site and take photos
- Attend Pre-Bid meetings or find someone to attend if you are not available
- Identify and communicate constructability issues, and value-engineering alternatives
- Complete accurate take-offs from design plans and bid specifications to determine quantities and pricing for each project assigned, prepare bid
- Verify most current addendums, amendments, project plans, specifications and soils reports prior to submittal
- Solicit new/existing vendors and subcontractors
- Call DVBE, UDBE, and SBE contractors to satisfy goal to achieve maximum value of credit, as needed
- Understand Local Hire requirements
- Maintain bid folders
- Maintain existing and develop new client relationships
- Prepare estimates for presentation to clients
- Identify all potential general contractors bidding work, if private
- Verbal quotes accepted but hard quote must follow
- Verify bid bond ordered, if required
- Confirm submittal documents are complete, if required
- Request Manager review of bid at least one day prior to bid date
- Save bid documents, including proposal revisions, to bid folder
- Identify competing parties
- Follow up and notify team of bid results as soon as they are available
- Review Purchase Orders and subcontract agreements with Project Manager
- Lead job handoff meetings with PM, PE, and Superintendent, prior to job start. Ensure everyone understands scope, schedule, and production rates required to complete the project at or below budgeted cost.
- Maintain a three week look ahead schedule that is resource loaded in coordination with Project Manager and Superintendent.
- Attend Weekly job site meetings, as required
- No performance of extra work without a written directive or approval from an authorized owner’s representative, and approval by A&B Project Manager
- Process and analyze the project reports and production, collect all data to determine whether or not the project is deviating from the planned schedule or rate of production and if the deviations is the result of issues that require a change order or submission of a Notice of Potential Claim.
- Track extra work labor hours, equipment hours, and materials used on projects. Collect and price extra work field tags and ensure owner’s representative is signing the tags, daily.
- Review daily timecards from field personnel. Ensure the time card is accurately filled out with labor and equipment, cost codes, and production.
- Ensure timecards are submitted by Foreman by 7:00 AM the following day.
- Review weekly cost reports with Project Manager, utilizing information from cost to completions in future bids
- Work with Project Manager to prepare Change Order(s), as needed
- Business Development; Cultivate and maintain relationships with clients, subcontractors, and suppliers
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Read blueprints, shop drawings, and specifications
- Effective communication, both verbally and written with clientele, team and management
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Current or past experience in San Francisco market a plus
- Associate degree / Trade School / or 5 year relevant work experience
- 5+ years Bluebeam, AUTOCAD and AGTEK